Monday, January 11, 2010

Thanks to a fellow Blogger...

I have decided to resurrect this blog. I have been attempting to start blogging on another site but have not been "feeling" it so after getting a nudge, here I am.

I want to thank Buzzy's Mama for taking the time to comment on my abandoned blog recently. She told me that my readers miss me and I felt so humbled and moved that I have decided to give her an award. Stay tuned for the big announcement. In the mean time, check her blog out (after you comment here on mine). Life gets in the way of some things and then all at once time stops when someone is kind enough to remind you what really matters. I hope to have a new friendship with Buzzy's Mama that will last through life. Hugs to her.


Now there's this little thing called IBS, otherwise known as Irritable Bowl Syndrome. Here's a brief introduction in case you are one of the ones fortunate enough to never have suffered from this...

  • Abdominal Pain or Cramping
  • A Bloated Feeling
  • Gas (Flatulence)
  • Constipation or Diarrhea(sometimes alternating bouts of both)
  • Mucus in the Stool
So you can see, this issue can be a nuisance to anyone but especially a mother. There are times when sprinting to the restroom while crossing your legs and holding your breath praying that you won't cough or sneeze is just not an option. I am here to tell you that you can control this and it doesn't have to be embarrassing, uncomfortable, messy, painful or loud any more!
I read up on this and have also had tips from many women about what one can do to control this. In no particular order are a few things that I recommend:

  • Read up on the issue and pay close attention to solutions presented.
  • Study up on food allergy issues because I found the two closely related.
  • Eat a healthy, balanced diet. Grease, oil, spices, acids, caffeine, food dye, preservatives all MESS UP your stomach and digestive system (and therefor your bowels).
  • Raw food does wonders for this issue. Read up on it. Try to eat one raw meal a day or even eat raw once a week. Raw Food Diet
  • Cut out packaged foods, especially those high in preservatives and artificial colors.
  • Oils and fats in food are the worst thing for IBS sufferers. Stay away from fried, greasy foods. Fast food is not your friend.
  • Drinking hot tea throughout the day (especially herbal teas) hydrates you and calms the stomach.
  • Reduce stress. When you find yourself tense, take slow deep breaths. Think about something that calms you. Try not to eat before a stressful meeting or encounter.
  • Exercise. Ya I know it seems funny but exercise helps everything. Your self confidence, your energy, your emotions and your health. That in turn helps with your IBS.
  • Eat small meals throughout the day. Large meals overwhelm your already stressed digestive system. Think eight snacks a day vs. three huge meals.
  • Some foods may not agree with you. Experiment with cutting out dairy, wheat, sugars, soy or others that commonly cause allergies and upset.
  • When all else fails, keep Immodium AD handy. I really like the liquid kind. You can drink it anywhere, anytime. Careful though, too much will constipate you.
  • Eating alot of (in one sitting) popcorn, pumpkin or sunflower seeds or anything else that will clean out your intestines is a recipe for disaster. Trust me. Don't do it.
  • Fruits and veggies are your friend. Water is your friend. Trust me.
  • Last but certainly not least, talk with your doctor, your mom or your best friend. Chances are, they have this or know someone that does and you can work together or at the very least, share disgusting stories with someone who has no choice but to sit there with a straight face and take it. :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Thank you for the info! I will definitely be implimenting many of those things into my life. It really is such a PIA to have to spend so much time in the bathroom when you have so much other responsibility to be attending to. Not to mention lovin' to be gettin' from the babies. :) I also hope we can begin a fabulous friendship and BTW, I at first didn't recognize you on FB, but then I did and felt stupid and of course accepted you as a friend. Here's to blogging, facebook and a blossoming friendship! CHEERS!
    Krissy aka BuzzysMama

    ReplyDelete